Sunday, April 5, 2009

Palm Sunday thoughts

I am finally sitting down. It sure feels good to do that.

I preached at our Open Cathedral today. It was fun; some people notices my hair matched my purplish-pink stole. I find preaching at the Night Ministry's Open Cathedral fun because it is a different venue, and it pushes my limits. For the most part over the years, I have preached from a manuscript, but in a intimate forum like Open Cathedral, I have shifted to preaching from just an outline. Yikes! I am still negotiating this shifting energy. I find that preaching at OC allows for a more dynamic, interactive sermon. Today, I had a more detailed outline than when I preached on the 22nd of March. Though I felt I preached a good sermon today, I felt I had more interaction with my sermon in March because I a) had a less detailed outline, which b) allowed for more audience participation.

I preached on Mark 11.1-11, and Philippians 2.5-11. I would post the sermon, but I find it hard trying to recreate what I said on the fly. I focused in on Philippians 2.5, "Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus." I tried to explain how this verse applies to us as believers in light of what Paul said in Romans 6.5-8 and Romans 5.18. I tried to weave this into the Beatitudes, and how they begin to describe the mind of Christ.

Though I felt it was okay, some people said they really liked it. One said it was doctrinally sound, and asked if I was Lutheran. :o) After service, I had lunch then rested in front of city hall with some friends from the Faithful Fools on a week-long street retreat for Holy Week.

And now I rest before work...

No comments: